Apple brought the ability to change the default apps for email and web browsing with the iOS 14 update in 2020. So you can change the default email app to Gmail or Safari to Chrome, if you’re comfortable with the Google ecosystem. Moreover, once you have installed Gmail, you can also change other default apps like Maps. Let’s see how you can change the default mail or maps app on iPhone.
Also, read | 2 Ways to Text Message Instead of iMessage on iPhone
Change Default Mail App on iPhone
If you like Gmail and like its features more, you should set it as default on your iPhone because Apple’s Mail app is not that feature-rich. Here’s how to set Gmail as the default mail app on iPhone:
1. First, download the Gmail app on your iPhone from the App Store.
2. Now go to Settings on your iPhone and scroll down to Gmail.
3. Tap on it and then select Default messaging app.
4. On the next page, select Gmail from the options and that’s it.
Now whenever you open an email on your iPhone or want to create a new email, it will take you directly to the Gmail app instead of Mail.
Change Default Browser on iPhone
You should note that there is no direct setting to change the default browser on iPhone. However, when you install another browser on your iPhone, it may be set as default. Here’s how to set Chrome (for example) as the default browser on iPhone:
1. Go to Settings on your iPhone and scroll down to the browser app or Chrome.
2. Tap on “Default Browser Application” here.
3. Now select Chrome from the list.
That’s all. Now all links on your iPhone will be opened in Chrome by default. You can also change the default browser from Chrome settings by tapping “Default browser” and then selecting Chrome.
Besides these two apps, you can also change the default maps app or calendar app on iPhone.
Change iPhone Default Maps App
To change your default maps app, you must first install the Gmail app on your iPhone, if you want to use Google Maps by default. Once installed, you can change the default maps, browser, calendar, and other apps using Gmail settings. Here’s how:
1. Open Gmail on your iPhone.
2. Tap on three horizontal lines and from the menu select Settings.
3. On the settings page, tap Default apps.
4. On the next page you can select Google Maps and default under Navigate from your location tab.
Similarly, you can also switch to Google Maps under the Navigate Between Locations section, as well as other apps like Calendar, Translate, etc.
So, it was all about how to change the default apps on your iPhone running iOS 15. For more such iOS guides, stay tuned!
You can also follow us for instant tech news at Google News or for tips and tricks, reviews of smartphones and gadgets, join GadgetsToUse Telegram Groupor for the latest review videos, subscribe GadgetsToUse Youtube Channel.